Costs Explanation - Event Fees, Expenses, etc
The cost of CUYC trips is always organised as follows:
- This shows the shared cost, per individual, of hiring the yacht that we will sail. This is the fee quoted on the trip pages and can range from 45 GBP to 95 GBP for a weekend trip, or from 90 to 200 GBP for week-long trips, depending on season. Trip organisers have a choice to add a sum to the trip fee quoted on the website to cover expenses (see below), but they will always make it clear what the proportions are. Trip fee could, under certain conditions, be non-refundable (see below).
- The Trip Organiser will endeavour to organise travel for those traveling to/from Cambridge. A mileage rate (currently the maximum permissible claim is 25p/mile) is paid to drivers to cover the cost of fuel and this will be shared evenly between all those traveling from Cambridge. If there are insufficient cars to take everyone from Cambridge, then some will travel by train and this cost will be included in the transport cost that is shared by everyone, including the drivers, in order to not disadvantage those for whom there is not space in the car. If traveling from outside Cambridge, either for weekend trips or vacation trips, or if traveling from Cambridge but you have onerous reasons why you cannot take advantage of the cheapest transport offered, you are expected to pay for and organise your own travel to and from the yacht. For more information and likely costs see the travel section of the relevant trip page or get in touch with the trip organiser.
- These include the living cost expenses like food, diesel and marina expenses. Ask anyone on the past trips and they will tell you that food works out cheaper than normal holidays as most days we eat on board the yachts (they have all the standard cooking equipment), and often because we buy in bulk, food costs work out cheaper than living at home for the same period. A reasonable estimate of expenses would be 45-50 GBP per week. These expenses are worked out individually for each boat and by common agreement amongst the crew can be cheaper or more expensive, mainly depending on the quality of food brought, amount of alcohol, etc.
+ membership (if applicable)
- You need to hold a valid CUYC membership to take part in a CUYC trip or course. Membership is not needed for attending Socials. CUYC membership costs 15 GBP and it is valid from one year from the first sailing or training event that you go on. More about that in the membership page.
+waterproof and boot hire (if applicable)
- There is a small charge of 8 GBP (trips of less than 4 days) / 13 GBP (4 days or more) for club waterproof hire and 2 GBP for boot hire (any duration) if needed.
+ damages (in the unlikely event)
- As crew you are liable for any damage to the yacht, which usually cannot exceed the value of the security deposit (security deposit can range from £500 up to £2,500 for racing trips). If the damage was not caused by crew negligence, the club's Damage Policy is in place to help reduce this unpredictable expense to a level that rarely exceeds 20 GBP per person and in the first four years of club's existence has never topped 40 GBP per person. However, in the event of large payouts where the club bank account cannot provide sufficient funds without causing problems with future trips it may be necessary for the crew to make a larger contribution. Our Safety Policy ensures that you will however not be held liable for damages incurred in the interest of safety.
There are very few extra costs. Usually we eat and drink on board but we sometimes have a few meals in restaurant onshore and go to pubs ashore. Still, nothing fundamentally different than what you would spend in Cambridge (probably less even).
Whilst every effort will be made to refund the trip fee to a member if they choose to drop out of a trip or event, each event must break even and significant sums of money often have to be committed well in advance of knowing if the member drops out. Therefore, in the case of both trips, training courses, and all other events for which there is a fee, it is necessary for members to recognise that once they have committed themselves to such trip/event/course, it may not be possible to offer any refund. If a refund is offered it may be partial or in kind and may be subject to certain ties.
How to pay?
Please ensure that you send payment for trips and other events as soon as possible to ensure we can maintain our cashflow. Also, we won't be able to confirm your place on an event unless you pay the full trip fee, so this is another very good reason for paying straight away!
All payments to the club should be sent via Paypal. If you have extenuating circumstances that make the use of Paypal impossible, please email the CUYC Purser at email@example.com for help.
You will find the paypal link at the top of the event page, once your place has been reserved.
If you have an outstanding club balance, for recent trip expenses perhaps, you will find a link to pay that balance off on your account statement page.